Europacolon Portugal - Support Patients with Digestive Cancer is a private social solidarity institution, part of Pan - European Europacolon organization.
It was established in 2006 in Porto, with the primary function of contributing to the decrease the numbers of Bowel Cancer mortality and support for patients and families, improving their quality of life.
Europacolon Portugal have their own website, renewed in 2014 (www.europacolon.pt
); a Facebook page, daily updated (www.facebook.com/EuropacolonPortugal
) and Youtube channel: (www.youtube.com/EuropacolonPortugal
Latest News for EC Portugal Jan 2017
Beginning of Colorectal Cancer Screening in Portugal
On the 16th December 2016, the Ministry of Health started the Formal Population Screening for Colorectal Cancer! It will start right away at ACES (Clusters of Health Centers) of Maia / Valongo. This day marks an important milestone both for the Health in Portugal but for EuropaColon as well. It was the culmination of implemented strategy on a subject that was a major focus for our organization. At the formal launch ceremony, the Secretary of State, stated that "This action is largely due to the way EuropaColon Portugal has pressed the Health Government guardianship to achieve it ...!" We are sure and proud that EuropaColon Portugal has made a decisive contribution to the resolution of such an urgent public health problem.
World Pancreatic Cancer Day 2016
EuropaColon Portugal once again marked the World Pancreatic Cancer Day. Beside the huge media presence, through the year but more specifically on this day, we also had a strong and active communication on social media with great results. There was also a presence at the Portuguese Oncology Society (SPO) Symposium with several specialists speaking on the topics such as Pancreatic cancer (PC) facts, research and development in PC, the importance of primary care in early diagnosis, elements of support on the awareness of PC in Portugal and of course the presentation of WPCD and WPCC.
We also managed to deliver 60 thousand pieces of written material on PC to all health centers in Portugal, contributing to a solution of a major problem on this disease - the lack of literacy and voice that this health problem has in Portugal but also worldwide. It was about time to give voice to Pancreatic Cancer and its Patients!
First EuropaColon Congress on Digestive Oncology
EuropaColon Portugal on the 8th and 9th of July organizes its first Congress on Digestive Oncology in Porto. It was an innovative event, being the first congress of this type open to general public as well as patients. Mani interesting topics were covered during the congress such as Colorectal Cancer, Gastric Cancer, Clinical Trials, Support Therapeutics, Advances in Screening and Cancer Prevention, Pancreatic Cancer with the presentation of the PC booklet, Award for the Personality of the Year for Professor Manuel Sobrinho Simões director of Ipatimup (distinguished on 2015 as the most influent pathologist of the world); there were also some interesting debates organized, such as: The Challenges of Communication, Future of Health in Portugal (Private / National Health System) discussed on a debate by several responsible such as Chairman of Medic Order, President of Portuguese League Against Cancer, President of IPO-Porto, President of the Portuguese Association of Private Hospital, Councilor for Housing and Social Cohesion of the Porto City Council and Medic and an ex-member of the Board of Directors of Regional Health Authority.
The feedback we received was overwhelming by several entities, health professionals and patients as well. After this event, our credibility and notoriety raised to a much higher level. Our commitment to save lives and fight the digestive cancer goes on! Cause we can’t accept that 24 persons die every year with this type of cancer. We stay strong and motivated for new and better achievements!
10 years of Success for EuropaColon Portugal!
Europacolon Portugal realized on the last 8th and 9th of July its first Congress on Digestive Oncology on Porto. It was an innovative event, being the first congress of this area open to general public, including our main focus, the patients.
Several important and recent subjects were presented and discussed on the congress such as:
- Colo-Rectal Cancer
- Gastric Cancer
- Clinical Trials
- Support Therapeutics
- Advances in Screening and Cancer Prevention Digestive
- Pancreatic Cancer with the presentation of the pancreatic cancer booklet
- Award of Personality of the Year for Professor Manuel Sobrinho Simões director of Ipatimup (distinguished on 2015 as the most influent pathologist of the world).
- Debate: The Challenges of Communication
- Debate: Future of Health in Portugal (Private / National Health System) discussed on a debate by several responsible such as Chairman of Medic Order, President of Portuguese League Against Cancer, President of IPO-Porto, President of the Portuguese Association of Private Hospital, Councillor for Housing and Social Cohesion of the Porto City Council and Medic and a ex-member of the Board of Directors of Regional Health Authority.
To see the full program of the congress (PT) visit: https://goo.gl/pfUZ4G
The feedback has been overwhelming by several entities, health professionals and patients as well our credibility and notoriety raised to a much higher level.
Our commitment to save lives and fight the digestive cancer goes on! Cause we can’t accept that 24 persons dies every year with this type of cancer. We stay strong and motivated for new and better achievements.
We leave you some moments of the Congress on the pictures below.
EuropaColon Portugal Press Release
EuropaColon Portuagal - Cancro Digestivo
EuropaColon - Calls on the Government
Public gathering | Fundraising
The month of March is especially important for Europacolon Portugal because it is the European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month (ECCAM).
We chose this time of year to prepare and develop our 2nd public nationwide gathering which was held on 27th, 28th and 29th of March.
The main objectives were:
- Fundraising for the activities and projects of Europacolon Portugal.
- Simultaneously alert the conscience of the population about the incidence and prevalence of the disease but also inform them about the work of Europacolon Portugal.
- Spread the word about The Organisation, gather suggestions, comments, answer questions and provide information on all the projects and initiatives.
Europacolon promotes free screenings in Holon Pharmacies
- During European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month Europacolon Portugal in partnership with the Holon Pharmacies, promotes free screenings of the population. This action takes place in 130 Holon Pharmacies spread nationwide.
The screening is performed with FOBT (Fecal Occult Blood Test) with the aim to make early detection of colorectal cancer.
The motto is: “The Colorectal Screening can save your life.”
Europacolon developed several awareness-raising, in various locations across the country aiming to spread the information about colorectal cancer, nutrition aspects but also about possibility for volunteers.
Some of the places we were are: Trofa, Évora, Macedo de Cavaleiros, Alcobaça and others.
Publications and media presence
- Several publications on Facebook and website of Europacolon Portugal about ECCAM and other activites.
- Interviews on tv and radio about ECCAM and our activities (for example: Porto Canal – TV; Rádio Nova – Radio).
- Various publications (in total 158 publications) in regional and some national newspapers about the public gathering, ECCAM15 and the announcement of the screening.
- Second Public Funds Collection
Second year , with the participation of approximately 1000 volunteers, was held in more than 40 different locations in Portugal on the 29th, 30th and 31th of March.
- Free CRC Screening with Holon Group on the second year in a row
Partnership between EuropaColon Portugal and Holon Group made available free CRC screening with fecal occult blood test in participating pharmacies (113 pharmacies)nationwide.
- Several activities, during the year, preventive and awareness actions on town halls, parish councils, income probation groups and several others.
- European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month - 2015, carried out several activities on preventive and awareness aspects of this disease . We highlight the intense media presence , also assiduous in previous years, in its various types of channels and in some of the most important newspapers (e.g. Público) , radio (e.g. TSF) and TV stations (e.g. SIC, TVI, Porto Canal, RTP) in the country:
In total of the month 158 news media were published (newspapers/websites pages) , 16 video recordings ( TV ) and two audio recordings (radio).
Click on the image of the pamphlet below for more information
CCPC2 Poster Competition
2007 National Cancer Control Plan (Portugese)
Summary of National Cancer Plan (English)
Click on the dates below to see EuropaColon Portugals activities during that year.
EuropaColon Portugal ECCAM Activities
- Summary of Activities:
During the European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month (ECCAM), EuropaColon Portugal has developed several activities to raise awaress of Colorectal Cancer (CRC), in particular the following ones:
- Colorectal Cancer Screening: Colonsocopy under Sedation
After the pressure exerted by EuropaColon Portugal for the past seven years, Portugese Ministry of Health announced free sedation for CRC Screening in Portugal.
- Colorectal Cancer Screening: EuropaColon’s Position
EuropaColon Portugal took position on the dispatch of the Ministry of Health (no. 3756/2014) for the care package established under the convention for gastroenterological endoscopy, as well as on the Report of Access to colonoscopies in the district of Lisbon.
- First Public Gathering
First public gathering of EuropaColon Portugal, with the participation of approximately 700 volunteers, was held in 43 different locations in Portugal on the 28th, 29th and 30thof March.
- New Website – www.europacolon.pt
Launch of the new EuropaColon’s website aimed to increase literacy of the population and to enhance patients’ participation in the therapeutic process.
- Campaign with Boehringer Ingelheim in 750 pharmacies
Campaign with Boehringer Ingelheim in 750 pharmacies was organized with the aim to raise awareness about colorectal cancer but also it was a fundraising opportunity.
- Free CRC Screening with Holon Group
Partnership between EuropaColon Portugal and Holon Group made available free CRC screening with fecal occult blood test in participating pharmacies (100 pharmacies)nationwide.
- Seminar on Social Gerontology at the Universidade Lusofona
EuropaColon Portugal was present at the Social Gerontology Seminar developed by the Lusophone University on March 21st with a presentation on cancer prevention in Panel1 – Aging and Health.
- Video – Hospital Center of Leiria
In order to increase awareness in the Hospital Center of Leiria, EuropaColon Portugal has prepared a video about the services and projects of the group as well as with the information about CRC, prevention and screening. Video is available through our website: www.europacolon.pt
- Awareness Raising – Jeronimo Martins Group
Awareness of about 69 000 Jeronimo Martins Group employees was raised through the informative leaflet on CRC prevention and screening that was produced by EuropaColon Portugal.
- Media Presence
Television – 9 appearances
Radio – 2 interviews
Press – 26 times
Internet – 67 news
Total news: 104
2013 - Top Priorities
- Conferences and workshops on psycho-education and colorectal cancer
- Prevention for patients and caregivers
- Development of psycho-educational groups
- Cognitive behavioural intervention on a group
- II Phase of Schools CRC Awareness & Prevention Programme
- III Phase of Domiciliary support for colorectal cancer patients (until July 2013)
EuropaColon Portugal - 7th of March 2013 -
Cancer: The Role of the Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition and Psychology in Patient Care
- On March 7th, EuropaColon Portugal held another event in the series of the Cycle of Lectures and Gatherings on the subject of: "Cancer: The Role of Medicine, Nursing, Nutrition and Psychology in Patient Care". This event took place at the Portuguese School of Oncology, in the Portuguese Oncology Institute, Francisco Gentil, in the city of Porto.
- Speakers presented on many issues surrounding the title topics. There was a strong audience presence - in terms of numbers and good debate. It was a rewarding experiences for the three parties involved: the speakers; the audience and EuropaColon Portugal.
During March EuropaColon Portugal held several activities and dedicated time to promote vital information about colorectal cancer.
Promotion and development of a set of five support group sessions for patients and colorectal cancer survivors, called “5 Themes, 5 Nights”.
The first session started on the 18th of March. A flier for these sessions can be found by clicking here.
There were 64 items of news about EuropaColon Portugal featured in the press, on television, via the internet, on the radio and through Lusa (Portugal’s biggest news agency).
Press: The press releases featured in Portugals news publications had the following topics –
- “Colorectal Cancer kills 11 people in Portugal daily”
- “EuropaColon creates a support group for colorectal cancer patients and survivors”
- "Colorectal Cancer Screening”
- “EuropaColon debates psychology, medicine, nursing and nutrition in the care of the cancer patient”
A couple of press cuttings can be found here.
Internet: An opinion article has been available for the public on the Newsletter and the website for “Hospital of Futuro” (Hospital of the Future) based on the Guidelines of Clinical Oncology.
Television: News about EuropaColon Portugal appeared on national television and we participated on a public interest show called “Sociedade Civil” (Civil Society) where information about the association and our work was promoted.
• EuropaColon – Portugal has stimulated vast amounts of media coverage over the last year with over 110 media items appearing in printed media, radio and television ECCAM 2012 Events Social Media Campaign
• Launch of a targeted social media campaign at the beginning ECCAM 2012 which will run throughout the month
• Supported by Social Media professionals this project aims to increase the number of followers on EuropaColon Portugal Facebook pages to 5.000
• A low cost high impact campaign Corrida do Dia do Pai( Father's Day Run)
• Fundraising and awareness event taking place 18th March in Oporto, supported by many professional organizations
• Number of runners is expected to reach around 15.000.
• A Press Conference to present the race will take place on 7th March at 10,30h in Oporto
• On March 18th 2012, the Father's Day Run took place with the starting point at the Porto's City Park (Boavista Avenue) The event was made not only for the competitive runners but also to implement new and better family health practices (as a different way to celebrate Father's Day). EuropaColon was there, resulting in better awareness of the Association and its goals. It was organised by RunPorto with the support of the Municipality of Porto through PortoLazer.Dulcolax• "Toca a Prevenir" (Play to Prevent) is the motto of the initiative promoted by EuropaColon/ Dulcolax (Boehringer Ingelheim).This initiative promotes awareness of the disease and its symptons, as well as emphasise the importance of early diagnosis and preventive actions to decrease the incidence of colorectal cancer. The initiative was presented on national television, media, pharmacies and supermarkets.• It also counts with the contribution of the famous Portugese singer- Luis Represas. Visit www.tocaaprevenir.pt for more information.
Continuous Home Care for Patients with Advanced Colorectal Cancer
• Project continues to be rolled out by a EuropaColon Portugal multidisciplinary team comprising of a Psychologist, Physician, Nutritionist, Social Worker and Nurse • The service will be promoted extensively throughout ECCAM with the main aim of providing additional support to 50 patients with advanced colorectal cancer and their families, offering them access to the various specialties within the multidisciplinary team
• The service is free to the patients and their families and will allow for continuous homecare service for this group
• Approved and support by of the Ministry of Health in Portugal Media coverage through a prime-time private TV channel Home Care Programme for colorectal cancer patients
• "Do not suffer in silence!" EuropaColon Portugal developed a Home Care programme to help patients with colorectal cancer on Porto's big centre area.
• Quality of life is an important goal for the patients as well as a wish of the family/ carer. This intervention programme is based on the premise that the psychological reactions of patients and carers/family do not depend only on the physical effects but also how they perceive and feel the disease in a more personal and emotional way. • The intervention consists of a multidisciplinary team (psychologists, physicians, nutritionists, nurses and social support assistants) helping the patients with tackling the disease. It is a project of EuropaColon Portugal, in partnership with the Ministry of Health of Portugal Healthy Eating in Schools Program - Official launch
• The Healthy Eating in Schools initiative has received approval and support of the Portuguese Ministry of Health.
• Runs from January 2012 until March 2013
• Aims to reach 4000 school children from 11 to 15 years old and to educate them on the need for a healthy diet and increased physical activity to prevent not only colorectal cancer but also to increase general good health Support Unit for Colorectal Cancer Patients after Discharge from Hospital
• Innovative and unique Project in Portugal which aims to support 5 year plus colorectal cancer survivors and those patients with late stage disease who are unable to receive treatment
• Creates a home care support triangle composed of the Hospital, Primary Social Care Units and EuropaColon Portugal
• Project approved by the Portuguese Ministry of Health which was developed in partnership with the Digestive Pathology Unit of the main Oncology Hospital in Oporto Project will be supported by EuropaColon telephone Helpline
Symposium about medical communication 'Advantage of Training and skills in Medical Oncology communication' promoted by the High Commissariat for Health'
• 'Spring Encounters – Oncology 2009' – city of Évora, participation as guest Association, in this Congress, promoted by GICD (Group of Investigation of Digestive Cancer)
• Successful bill-board campaign in Oporto covering most of the city
• II project for Prevention of Healthy Food Education - School of Trofa - Accompaniment meetings with students, teachers and parents of this project
• Warsaw – Participation in the Symposium of Patients Associations 'Improving patient care by sharing skills and expertise'
• Participation in Brussels in the launching of the “Manifesto for life”, promoted by EuropaColon
• Colorectal cancer awareness session in Amial Church, in partnership with the Nursing Order – North Regional Section
• Colorectal cancer awareness session in Bragança in the Auditorium of “ Espaço da Feira”, in Macedo de Cavaleiros, in the Auditorium of the Cultural Centre, in partnership with the Health Sub – Region of Bragança and the Nursing Order – North Regional Section
• Interview for the television channel “Porto Canal” about the Psychology/ Nutrition free consults. Intervention of the Patient Ms. Licinia Marcelino, Nutritionist Margarida Vieira and Psychologist André Louro and Mr. Vitor Neves
• Colorectal cancer awareness session in Fafe, in the City Hall Auditorium, with the participation of a representative nurse from the Nursing Order, Mr. Norberto Sá, patient Licínia Marcelino, Nutritionist Dra. Margarida Vieira, Oncologist Dr. Maria Fragoso and Mr. Vitor Neves
• Colorectal cancer awareness session in Lisbon, promoted by the Students Association of the Pharmacy University of Lisbon, with the collaboration of the patient Mr. Rui Pinto included in the VI Cycle of Health Workshops, being the first of the sixth workshops under the theme 'Colon – Rectal Cancer'
• Colorectal cancer awareness session in Felgueiras, promoted by the Students Association of the Superior School of Technology and Managing of Felgueiras, a workshop about the different kinds of cancer in Felgueiras
• Presence with our stand in the Expo Health Fair of Matosinhos Council – invitation by da Dra. Anabela Castro of the City Hall of Matosinhos
• Conference in Viana do Castelo for students doing “ Pós - Graduation in Oncological Nursing “in the Superior School of Nursing, in Viana do Castelo, module I- “ The complexity of oncological disease”, relating experiences , movement and intervention of Association
• In 2008, EuropaColon – Portugal successfully launched a Healthy Eating Programme in schools, the 'Healthy Food School Education' programme is aimed at children aged 10/11 years Campaigning/ Lobbying
• In March 2008 EuropaColon – Portugal organised a Colorectal Cancer Awareness session which was held in the Republic Assembly and aimed at Deputies and Collaborators
• In the public session, EuropaColon - Portugal talked about colorectal cancer, its symptoms and prevention and how to implement these on a daily basis including healthy life styles
• EuropaColon – Portugal established on 5 September 2006
• EuropaColon – Portugal launched its website: www.europacolon.pt
In 2006, the organisation launched a National Helpline for patients and non-patients, mostly for those with questions related with symptoms, prevention and colorectal cancer