Gyógyulj Velünk Egyesület
(in English): Recovering Together.
Goals of the Association
Recovering Together Association is devoted to raising the awareness of the whole society on cancer diseases of the digestive system and to help patients suffering from these diseases in all possible ways. The association was established in April 2012.
Every year there are about 19,000 new patients diagnosed with different types of cancer of the digestive system. This diagnosis put enormous burden not only on the patients and their families but on the whole nation of Hungary. However, today's treatment options offer more hope and effective curing methods giving the opportunity for recovery and improvement of the quality of life of patients in almost every phase of their lives.
Tools of our Association
The Association organises several events where members can help each other and get information regarding any aspects of challanges arising while fighting against cancer. Our association also provides a forum where the voices of patinets can be heard.
Patients suffering from these diseases are grateful for any help. The proficient and advanced medical care is essential for recovery. Besides the help of family and friends, the community of The Association can also support the healing process.
Anyone wishing to provide active help is welcome as well as others that are willing to express their support in any form.
The Association started to recruit members on a big event where the importance of active patient participation was discussed. Since then, they have been organising regular events on different topics (e.g. psychooncology, dietetics, meeting with physicians and nurses, etc.) helping patients and their relatives. Because of these events and increased media presence, only a year after the establishement of The Association, we had 263 members and this number continues to grow.
In November 2012, The Association participated on the Conference of the Hungarian Society of Medical Oncology’s patients day. There was also a press conference together with the presidents of the Society and a member of the Hungarian Parliament. After this event there were several media appearances and in December The Association expressed its unambiguous opinion concerning some plans that were supposed to cut the availability of different treatment options for colorectal cancer patients. Fortunately, these plans have been reinvestigated, which brought huge relief for the patients affected by colorectal cancer. Although The Association is devoted to the cancer patients of all the digestive system, the most of our members are colorectal cancer patients.
Recent Activities 2016 - 2017
Click here for all the latest activities and news from Recovering Together from the past year.
Past Activities 2013 - 2015
Every year, European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month (ECCAM) is marked by Recovering Together Association (GYVE).
In March 2015, a summary article on colorectal cancer (CRC), written by two physicians at our clinique, and edited by us appeared on our website:
Other activities were the following:
- On March 26th there was a gathering, where our members could listen to a lecture about patients' rights by the regional Patients' Rights Representative, with a Q&A section following.
- GYVE is starting a research, together with a pharma company about the way people experience their cancer illness.
- GYVE’s President gave a long (one hour) interview for state television on the occasion of ECCAM.
- "Send your experience concerning your colonoscopy to us" - campaign for screening
- Joint press conference with Dr. Kálmán Nagy, member of the Hungarian Parliament, member of the Health Committee in the main press room of the building of the Hungarian Parliament
- Raising awareness and campaign for introduction of national screening programmes - Pictures
- Conducting a research on the awareness and interest of students on cancer and care at the biggest Hungarian university of Medical Studies
- Every month there is a talk on important topics for the members of The Association (more than 260 at the moment) - in March: "How media and advertisment techniques work - cancer patients are in target". The speech was given by our press spokesman, Laszlo B. Papp, who has recently been awarded the prize of "Health journalism expert of the year 2012") - Pictures
- Several media appearances have been performed (radio interviews, online and offline articles). Some more important ones are the following:
- The biggest news channel prepared a 30 minute introduction of The Association - a distinguished expert in Oncology and two members of our Association discussed colorectal cancer and the present situation in Hungary.
- At the beginning of April, the biggest TV channel in Hungary prepared a short documentary on The Association in relation to the European Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.
The top 3 goals for 2013 were:
1. Expand memberships and organise events – The organisation has started to organise and run more subgroups besides the regular monthly afternoons for the whole membership.
2.By the help of media, the organisation aims to introduce widely, to the general public, the problems and life of the patients and their families. This is very important for raising the awareness of these diseases. There were more than 100 appearances of The Association in all types of media till March 2013.
3.Continue with the lobbying for the patients. An extraordinary event was a joint press conference of the president of Recovering Together Association together with Dr. Kálmán Nagy, a member of the Hungarian Parliament, who is a distinguished member of the Health Committee. The press conference was held on the 25th
of March 2013 in the main building of the Hungarian Parliament.
President: Dr Istvan Lakos.
Secretary: Kriszta SzepLinks
Medical Online http://www.medicalonline.hu/gyogyitas/cikk/ha_elveszik_a_gyogyszerunket__hamarabb_kell_meghalnunk
Several photos from the eventshttps://plus.google.com/u/2/photos/116806470340144330515/albums/5833722371725083057?authkey=CJHlo8uzqdaFtQEhttps://plus.google.com/u/2/photos/116806470340144330515/albums/5792418520959299633?authkey=CLue1YOC2s3RuQEhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/o7sg1nmgjtax6tu/7J8n4wleJ-#/